The Harpenden Trust’s aim – to help Harpenden people in need, individually and collectively – remains the same as when it was founded in 1948 by local people, with Dr Charles Hill (later Lord Hill) the first President and Dr Agnes Kelynack the first Chairman.
In 1950 the Trust’s role was described by the Daily Sketch as a “social experiment without parallel in this country”- the better off helping the less well off.
Even though Harpenden is regarded as a wealthy community, there are still residents suffering hardship, financial or otherwise, and people in need of the help of a good neighbour. The Harpenden Trust is here to be that good neighbour with the active support of the town’s residents.
For 60 years the Trust concentrated its support on Harpenden families and individuals. Then in 2008, when Abbeyfield Harpenden closed down, the net proceeds of the sale of the property were handed over to the Trust to be put into a separate Community Fund for the benefit of local organisations, charities and community groups. The original Trust, with its work with families and individuals, was renamed the Care Fund and, as a community organisation, it receives a grant from the Community Fund to help finance its activities.